Stichting News

The California Lighthouse owes its name to the vessel that shipwrecked near the Aruban north coast. This was the reason for building a lighthouse at the Westpoint of Aruba.

Between 1914 and 1916 the California Lighthouse was built. Until 1970, two lighthouse keepers operated a special French clock, which gave off a light signal every ten seconds. In 1970 electric light and an automated mechanism were introduced. The first lighthouse keeper was a young man from Curacao named Mr. Jacob Jacobs, he brought the craftsmanship of lighthouse keeping to Aruba. The last lighthouse keeper was from Aruba, Mr. Federico Fingal. The stories of the son of Mr. Federico Fingal are currently being compiled into a book and will soon be published by Unoca.

The California Lighthouse is one of the main landmarks of Aruba. The 32 meter high tower, largely made up of crushed stones, lime and cement, attracts many visitors daily. Today, the lighthouse is still used to warn ships and as a beacon for fishermen. Beside this, it functions mostly as a tourist attraction. In the former lighthouse keeper’s house is now used by La Trattoria El Faro Blanco Restaurant.

The lighthouse clearly needs to be resorted. The building is in a bad condition, due to years of wind and water eroding it. In particular the top, consisting of metal and concrete, is in poor condition, which hampers the employees of APA in carrying out their work.

The Monumentsfund of Aruba is committed to preserve our past for the future. SMFA drafted a masterplan for the restoration of the lighthouse. Once the master plan was drawn up, SMFA sought funding for the project and requested the government of Aruba to transfer the lighthouse to SMFA. This transfer is necessary in order to start the restoration. On januari 14th 2015 the Minister of Tourism and Culture of Aruba officially transferred the Lighthouse to the President of the Monumentsfund Aruba.

As soon as the lighthouse has been restored and safety can be guaranteed for visitors, it will be open to the public. Visitors will have the opportunity to go into the lighthouse, to climb it and enjoy the best view of Aruba.

California Lighthouse | Westpunt – Build 1914-1916

Overdracht California Lighthouse aan Stichting Monumentenfonds Aruba

De California Lighthouse dankt haar naam aan het gelijknamige schip dat op de klippen liep vlak bij de Arubaanse noordkust. Dit was de aanleiding om een vuurtoren op de Westpunt van Aruba te bouwen.

Tussen 1914 en 1916 werd de California Lighthouse gebouwd. Tot 1970 bedienden twee vuurtorenwachters een speciaal Frans uurwerk, dat elke tien seconde een lichtsignaal afgaf. In 1970 kwam er elektrisch licht en een geautomatiseerd mechnisme. De eerste vuurtorenwachter was een jongeman uit Curaçao genaamd mr. Jacob Jacobs, hij bracht het vakmanschap van vuurtorenwachter naar Aruba. De laatste vuurtorenwachter was Arubaans, mr. Federico Fingal. De verhalen van de zoon van mr. Federico Fingal worden momenteel gebundeld in een boek en deze zal binnenkort uitgegeven worden door Unoca.

De California vuurtoren is een van de voornaamste herkenningspunten van Aruba. De 32 meter hoge toren, grotendeels opgebouwd uit breuksteen, kalk en cement, trekt dagelijks heel veel bezoekers. Tegenwoordig wordt de vuurtoren nog steeds gebruikt om schepen te waarschuwen en als orientatiepunt voor vissers. Verder functioneert het vooral als toeristen attractie. In de voormalige vuurtorenwachterwoning zit nu La Trattoria El Faro Blanco Restaurant.

De vuurtoren is duidelijk toe aan restauratie. Het gebouw is door jarenlange aantasting van wind en water in een slechte conditie. Met name de top, bestaand uit metaal en beton, verkeerd in slechte staat, waardoor medewerkers van APA worden bemoeilijkt in het uitvoeren van hun werkzaamheden.

Stichting Monumentenfonds Aruba (kort: SMFA) zet zich in voor het behoud van monumenten. SMFA stelde het plan op voor de restauratie van de vuurtoren. Toen het masterplan eenmaal was opgesteld, heeft SMFA financiering gezocht voor het project en het land Aruba verzocht om overdracht van de vuurtoren naar SMFA. Op 14 januari 2015 heeft de Minister van Toerisme en Cultuur de California lighthouse officieel overgedragen aan SMFA.

Zodra de vuurtoren gerestaureerd is en veiligheid gegarandeerd kan worden aan bezoekers, zal deze open zijn voor publiek. Bezoekers zullen de mogelijkheid krijgen om de vuurtoren in te gaan, te beklimmen en te genieten van het beste uitzicht van Aruba.