The Yellow House
|Open to public:
This town-country house, originally constructed by a Frenchman in 1860, underwent a significant transformation in 1908, as indicated by the year inscribed above the central entrance. This transformation took place following its acquisition by Richard John Eman, who was married to Johanna Catharina van der Biest. The couple had six children, and one of their daughters married the banker Gerard Eman, the founder of Aruba Bank.
In 1998, concerning news emerged that Aruba Bank, situated on Caya Betico Croes, intended to demolish this town-country house located on the bank’s premises. This was a disheartening development for both Monumentsbureau and the Monumentsfund, as this building represented one of the last remaining town-country houses along the bustling shopping street.
During that period, the option of prior protection for monuments had not yet been approved by Parliament. Consequently, the monument board decided to relocate the property, ultimately choosing a site on Weststraat. This involved relocating portions of the house intact, while other parts were disassembled and replaced. The project commenced on August 21, 2000, and concluded on December 12, 2001.
Currently, The Yellow House is occupied by The Moonshine Daiquiri & Paint Co.