School | 1888


Address: Wilhelminastraat 6 / Zoutmanstraat 9
Year built: 1888
Open to public: No

Between 1887 and 1888, this monument was constructed in a neoclassical style, with the design attributed to Antoine Martis, the head of the construction department in Curaçao. Initially, it served as Aruba’s first public school, known as the ‘landsschool’ when it officially opened on March 5th. In 1921, it was renamed the Juliana school, and in 1943, after Juliana School relocated to Madurostraat, it became the Prinses Margrietschool.

During the Second World War, the building served as a military base, leading to significant modifications. Between 1953 and 1955, the original structure was restored and repurposed into a library, and in 1982, it was transformed into government offices.

In 2005, a restoration and expansion project commenced, involving the removal of non-original elements and an expansion in a more contemporary architectural style. For several years, it has housed the office of the Court of Audit (ARA).

In 2023, the building underwent major maintenance work, which included a lime plaster test on a section of its facade.